Summer PD, ISTE Presenting, and Homework Helper Cheating

Hello everyone! Wanted to update my blog earlier but I have spent that last few days either at home or in the hospital. Nothing to serious.....I think. Well I am back at work today and working on my online PD courses that I will be making available for the teachers in my district. I am using Blackboard Learn as the host but most of the course material is presented using OfficeMix and Microsoft Sway. I am providing professional development focused on the use of 21st Century Skills in classroom and the blended use of online formative assessment tools. I have all the resources needed for the courses and a few of the Sways and OfficeMixes ready to go; now I just have to put it all together into learning modules within Blackboard. And, both courses need to be up and running by May 20th, next week. Just a normal work week in IT integration in the classroom...

Also, I am presenting at ISTE2017 within the  Creativity Playground on Monday, June 28, 2:00 - 2:30. We will be playing around with Green Screen Technology in the Classroom. I will be going over fun things you can do with students utilizing a green screen and a smartphone or tablet. My goal is to show how easy it is to create easy student presentations that actual allow the student to be part of the visual presentation. Such ideas as presenting within the setting of the story, or being on location of a report without having to leave the classroom, like being on the Moon or underwater in the ocean. With new applications available, the editing needed for green screen production is a lot easier and does not require much time to master. I am wondering, should I ask some of the green screen material and application companies to sponsor my session? Freebies for advertising?????

ISTE2017 Creative Playground Presentation

Even though I am still on a teacher's contract and technically, have the summer off, this summer is going to be my busiest yet since I got into education thirteen years ago. My summer is loaded with provided professional development to existing teachers, as well as training for our incoming teachers. I also am tasked with getting our learning management systems, Edgenuity and Blackboard, prepared for the next school year. And of course a few days are allotted for going to ISTE. I am driving there this year and my wife is tagging along with me. She is going to sight-see while I am participating within the conference. You know, see the Alamo and strolling the River Walk.

One last note or question, has anyone had to deal with students cheating on-line, during final exams, utilizing applications like Socratic, Brainly, Got It!, or other type of so called "Homework Helper"? These applications are being utilized by students to quickly get answers to test questions. In some cases, all the student has to do is snap a picture or the test questions, online or on paper, and post the picture in the application. The application will then display the answer, in some cases, such as on math problems, it even displays the work needed to come up with the answer. Student can easily copy and past the answer with the work into the online exam window. These homework helper applications are popping up quickly. In most cases, if a student pays for the service, the application can complete all the home work for the student, provide answers to quiz questions, and other assistance. One of the companies is already stating income of over $1 million so far. I see this becoming even a bigger issue in the near future. Tight classroom management is truly the only solid solution for it now, since not all online testing and learning management systems have secure browser capabilities.


Comments

Popular Posts